Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Pachygyria, Heterotopia, And Other Weirdness

Do you guys know what the brain looks like?

Not this one. Although I do ask, "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"

 It looks like a big wrinkled blob of meat:

 
Yeah, kinda gross.




Still, everything has its place and function, and the brain is really really cool when it works right. Which, of course, means that when it doesn't, things can go really wrong. Including having seizures.

If you look at the sliced-up part of the brain there, you'll see that the brain has two kinds of tissue: the inside is called the white matter and the part around the edges is called gray matter (even though it looks pink to me; maybe someone was colorblind?) The bumpy parts on the outside are called gyri and the cracks in between are called sulci. Oh, and the two halves of the brain you can see? They're connected in a few places, the most important being the corpus callosum, near the bottom of the brain right in the middle.

I couldn't find an actual picture, but this is what it looks like on an MRI.

Bear with me guys; I know you probably weren't expecting an anatomy lesson but I promise this is relevant.

The brain gets sorted into gray matter outside and white matter inside during about the fourth month of pregnancy, and the gyri and sulci develop from about the fourth to sixth month. The corpus callosum starts developing about the fifth or sixth month and continues at least through birth.

Unless of course you're me. Then things go every which way.

For nearly twenty-five years, nobody could understand why I was having seizures. Then my neurologist finally (FINALLY) said, "Let's have a high resolution MRI and see if we can figure it out."

They stuff you in this for 45 minutes. It makes a ton of noise
and magically sees inside your skull.

When the report came back, I read it before the doctor did (I worked in the radiology clinic, so I could do that :-) ) There were all kinds of words I didn't know: pachygyria, dysgenesis, heterotopia. I was a bit scared.

Basically here's what happened: Before I was born, when my brain was developing, that gray matter didn't make it all the way out to the outside of my brain where it belongs. I have big lumps of gray matter on the inside - gray matter heterotopia. Because all that gray matter is on the inside, the stuff on the outside is thinner than it's supposed to be, and my gyri are spread out wider than they should be and the sulci are shallower - that's pachygyria. Finally, it looks like my corpus callosum did not develop correctly. Go back up and look at the picture. See the bulb at the back and the hook at the front? Not there on mine.

Now most people with these conditions, as severe as mine are, have seizures early in life: as early as age 3, and almost certainly by 9 years old. My seizures didn't start until I was 20. I'm lucky there. And very lucky indeed that I didn't experience the intellectual deficits and learning disabilities people with these conditions nearly always do. My neurologist, when he saw the report from the MRI, said, "Go home and thank your parents for your good genes!" The neuroradiologist looked at the pictures, then looked at me, and said "Are you sure this is you?"

So there are a lot of worse things that could have happened to me, and I am thankful every day that they didn't. I did thank my parents for what they had passed down to me, and I have a lot more respect than I did for my brain, which somehow finds a way to function well above normal when by all rights it shouldn't even be able to get to "normal". I feel better about myself, and about my epilepsy, than I did before I knew what was going on.

About 2 out of 3 epilepsy patients, though, don't know why they have epilepsy, and never will. For you guys, I look with awe at your bravery. I really do. And so should everyone. Something terrible has happened to you, for no apparent reason, with no apparent cure, and yet you find a way to slog along through life; even to be happy and smile. You're amazing, you know? Don't forget that.

And you guys without epilepsy? You're great too. But pay attention to those around you. They may be going through more than you know.

I want to call out my friend Daisy Robson, a fellow epilepsy blogger. She's recently been in the ICU and is still recovering from having a hideous lot of seizures. She and her mom, in particular, have really gone through hell in the last week. If you could just keep them in mind; pray for them if you pray. They could use it. Thanks!

1 comment:


  1. I did what a lot of people do when they want to know more about something. I googled it. I came across Dr ITUA herbal medicine on YouTube so many people thanking him about his good work. My son was epilepsy patent. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my son epilepsy status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Itua for everything he have done for my Son ,after my son taking Dr Itua Herbal medicine my son was completely free from epilepsy within 2 weeks of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp Number..+2348149277967 for help also if you are suffering from the list of disease below...Herpes Virus,Epilepsy,Genital Wart,Autism,Cold Sore,Hiv/Aids,Infertility(Finding it difficult to conceive) Or Man Infertility,

    ReplyDelete