Sunday, August 28, 2016

Facing Epilepsy: Parents, Doctors, and Caregivers

You might not all know this, but for the past several years I've been working in the healthcare field, in the IT specialty known as medical informatics. About a year and a half ago, I discovered The Health Care Blog, an interesting source of diverse views on health care, health care reform, and the part that IT plays in both.

Fear not though! This will not be a post about health care, or IT. I wanted to share with you one of the first posts I read on the blog: a short story by emergency physician and author Philip Allen Green, titled "Status Epilepticus".

The story made a really deep impression on me when I first read it last year, and I've gone back to it many times since. It really tells the story, I think, of what parents can go through when they have a child with epilepsy, and what a doctor might go through when they're unable to cure, or perhaps even to help, someone with a seizure.

Please read the story. I hope it will give you the same sort of insight it gave me.

To all of my doctors, and to my parents especially: I can't thank you enough for how much you've wanted and tried to help me. I love you all, I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment